How to create separate posts for different pages?

I am using the minimal-mistakes template for developing my GitHub pages. My question is: How should we create multiple posts and link them with a specific page? Following is my github page repo. In it, I have pages created in the _pages folder. All the posts are present in the _posts folder. I am confused how will post inside _posts will know to which page to appear in?
Example: For a given page education.md

layout: posts
permalink: /education/
title: "Courses/Books"
author_profile: true
---

I wish to have multiple posts such as:

title: "Dummy"
date: 2018-01-28
tags: [data wrangling, data science, messy data]
header:
  image: "/images/perceptron/percept.jpg"
excerpt: "Data Wrangling, Data Science, Messy Data"
mathjax: "tr
---

Hence, How to get “Dummy” post to come in education page? Any help @mmistakes would be great.

Posts have no relation to each by default. You can assign categories or tags to them and then use the themes layouts to create archive pages.

Collections are another way of grouping pages. They are commonly used for pages that aren’t date based. The theme provides layouts for doing collection based archives as well.

Simply creating a page education.md isn’t enough. You need a way to relate the documents back to an archive listing. Either tag those posts education or use it as a category, then build the appropriate taxonomy page for it.

Or create an education collection and put your documents in that.

Hi, I am a newcomer to Jekyll (and minimal-mistakes!) and have been (slowly) building my website here.
I have been scouring the documentation, as well as this site and github, but I cannot seem to resolve the simplest problem - the process of assigning a ‘category’ to a certain post!
I have created a base page called category.md and placed it in a folder _pages in my repo, which contains the following code (adapted from mmistakes documentation):

---
title: "List Posts by specific Category here"
layout: category
permalink: /categories/
taxonomy: cheese
---

So, presumably this ‘catagory.md’ would be the page which displays all posts with the category ‘cheese’. However, i’m not sure how to actually assign a ‘category’ to a post itself! Could someone possibly tell me what to add/change for this following sample post here to have the category ‘cheese’ and thus be listed on ‘catagory.md’:

---
title: Cheeselover
layout: categories
? what else to add ?
---
Much appreciations for the help, I have!

(also, i presume the above ‘Cheeselover’ post would go in the _posts folder, too?)
My deepest apologies if i’m on the wrong path here, or if this is laughably simple, but I have tried at this for hours and my tiny pulsing brain cannot commit to push this one together ;). Anyone’s help is appreciated - and if no one else, if @mmistakes has time/sees this, I would be most honoured and thankful for your guidance!
Many thanks,
Küp.

Assigning categories and tags to a post is basic Jekyll convention. It’s done via front matter.

1 Like