Would using Jekyll be ideal for a general-interests blog?

I’ve been thinking to create a blog with some friends, but instead of using Blogger, Wordpress, etc., I would like to use Jekyll+GitHub Pages.

Though, I don’t know if it would be ideal, since we do want to have quite modest traffic, at least, meaning bandwidth and all that stuff.

Or should I stick with the general solutions?

GitHub Pages is pretty generous with their usage limits. As long as you don’t have a high-ranking website and don’t go over 1GB of storage, you should be fine.

Sure it is. If you need to add plugins though, github won’t be up for that and you might want to search the internet for jekyll hosters. There are and I saw one for under €5/month. Probably the best idea anyways if the blog is to be commerialized. I also found one hoster with a freelancer package to have dozens of jekyll sites for a reasonable monthly fee.

1 Like

Tom, can you post the links you’re talking about?
Am using Firebase for many projects. But I’d appreciate being able to do htaccess filtering. So I’m looking for an alternative. Thank you!

Wasn’t sure if I could just post link here that everybody could google for themselves. cloudcannon has a plan for as many projects you can, you gotta ask them about htaccess though. That’s an apache thing, so you might be out of luck.

1 Like

all fine. Danke Thomas!

A setup that works well is hosting the source of your blog code on github.com, build and deploy it with netlify.com and edit content with forestry.io.

1 Like

It all depends on how much configurability you want and how good you are at coding.
Jekyll is cool, but you must get your hands dirty, if you have never done this before, its going to be a challenge. But a cool challenge :wink:
If you are OK with coding the next question is configurability. Is it ok to have a plain vanilla site like every other blogger cq wordpress site out there? if so, then use that. Its easier than jekyll.

If however you want to play around with plugings, styling and what not… then use jekyll. Jekyll is easier to understand than the deep innards of wordpress, and you will be more resistant to “plugin-version-hell” or even malware plugins.