I keep getting emails from GitHub pages complaining about symlinks causing build failures, when there are no symlinks where it complains there are, or anywhere in the repo… To top it off, Jekyll manages to build the site locally without a problem, so I cannot even try to debug the problem locally. If you’d like to check for symlinks yourself, or see if a solution you have in mind would likely apply, here is the repo: https://github.com/fusion809/fusion809.github.io.
I did—several commits ago, and in the old repo (I renamed the old repo as fusion809.github.io-old3 and created a fresh repo at the original location)—create a symlink I didn’t realize was forbidden. In the subsequent commit I removed it and since then I’ve been getting these errors. Here is the problem commit in the old repo: https://github.com/fusion809/fusion809.github.io-old3/commit/6ce5870ed390f3b4b43def08a545c8e48ba135e8. I made several efforts to fix the problem in this old copy before ditching it and starting a new repo, not a single attempt of mine has fixed this problem; it is getting maddening. I have even asked GitHub for help, over a week ago, with no reply (which to be clear, I’m not getting aggro at them over, I get they’re busy and they owe me nothing).
Here is the latest email I received reporting a build error:
The page build failed for the
masterbranch with the following error:
A file was included in
pages/governance/01-terminology.mdthat is a symlink or does not exist in your
_includesdirectory. For more information, see …
For information on troubleshooting Jekyll see:
If you have any questions you can contact us by replying to this email.
(the replacing links with
... was because this forum seems to have a problem with me adding any more than two links to this post).
Please tell me you good folks have a solution, that doesn’t involve switching to a new static site generator or loose the work I put into this website, as this is driving me mad.
Thanks for your time