Jekyll and Stripe

Hello there,

I am a fan of Netlify and auto deployment based on Git but is there any way to create an e-commence site based on Jekyll (creating products), Netlify (hosting) and Stripe for payments.

I’ve seen Snipcart but that’s not what I want. It’s totally not lean and mean or the reason why I left WordPress in the first place.
Snipcart.js, (600kb), snipcart.min.css (25kb) and a jQuery 3.2 (90kb) dependency. That’s plain awful to load on a page without even doing anything of your own theming yet.
Yes, we can Gzip everything but you’d probably still load about 225kb combined and for what? A shopping cart modal with a step by step checkout?

The shipping cart is what I want to create, only if needed. I want to static generatie my products with Jekyll and if needed I create a shopping cart where I bundle all my products in a basket with Javascript. I wish there was some Stripe integration where I could do all the products and shopping cart stuff and in the end there is always one checkout page where Stripe would generatie a payment based on my total sum of money. > Payment approved > and via 3rd party software like Slack, Mail, Zapier I could view and control my order.

So is there any way to get Stripe to play nice with Jekyll only on Netlify?
I’ve tried to search but there is not much information about this. I know Stripe has an official Ruby checkout gem but I believe your host has to support Ruby on the server to use it right?

Thanks already,

1 Like

I just tried to make a simple pay me $xx type of form with stripe and from what I understand you need a server on the back end - just a static site is not enough, you need to perform some stuff server side that cannot be publicly visible if that makes sense.

You can sort of do something with paypal, I can generate an amount and a link with the amount and order id in it that sends people to paypal where they can pay that amount. But they can change the amount to anything since there is no brain.

I’ve seen a couple jekyll oriented cart things but I don’t think any of them made it to where they were complete and worked. This looked interesting:

https://github.com/jekyll-store

1 Like

Jekyll Store looks like a dead project to me.

This GoCommerce (Netlify - GitHub) also caught my eye but there is really ZERO explanation or tutorial about it. I mean if API’s and Static Generators are still kinda new to you this becomes pretty overwhelming to jump into.

I think the PayPal payment link is interesting. That could make a perfect simple webshop.

Thanks but no thanks, it’s not professional enough for a business.

I live in a country where credit cards or PayPal transactions are optionals and not the main, go to, payment method online. Stripe (checkout) gives me full control over what Payment methods I can use.

I just have to find other solutions, going back to WordPress for example until Netlify can figure out their game.

I am building a webshop using the Mollie API. It supports many different payment methods and works similar to PayPal. I would prefer Snipcart over Wordpress.

You could also look at Trolley. (Disclaimer: I’m the author!)

It’s a new JS cart designed for static & JAMstack sites and it works great with Jekyll.

It’s lighter weight than Snipcart, even though itworks in a roughly similar way (though integration is just pasting an HTML link and one tag into your source)

I’d love to know what you think :slight_smile:

This is too old, but it may be helpful.
When I saw the price, 2% per transactions I thought, it is expensive. I could set up some workaround myself with Stripe, but then I thought, Stripe is 1.4% + 0.25€ and I understand you need to charge something, otherwise there is no business and 0.6% is reasonable.

Then I realised it’s 2% + stripe transaction, so 3.4% + 0.25€. Then I definitely decided to not go for Trolley.

I hope it’s helpful.

Hi dieppa,
Thanks for your comment and for considering Trolley.

We think that Trolley’s pricing compares pretty well with competing services like Snipcart (also 2% on top of Stripe, but with a monthly minimum of $10 whether you trade or not).

We do offer pricing flexibility for clients with higher transaction volumes (as low as 1% for some clients) and we discount heavily for charities.

Ultimately it’s a no-code solution and you’re paying for convenience; if you have the skills and the time to spend on building your own Stripe integration then you should do that :slight_smile:

I hope that helps - always happy to discuss things!

I understand. I didn’t see it from that perspective as I am engineer. Probably very valuable for non technical people or those who doesn’t have the time/

Thanks