Why Problems When Overwriting Existing Theme Files with New Theme Files

I am going to host a personal blog through GitHub Pages. I decided to use Jekyll for the use of external JavaScript libraries and systematic management. Therefore, I succeeded in hosting the basic theme normally on the GitHub pages through Jekyll new.

Then, to change the theme, I downloaded another theme file and overlaid it on my existing theme file.

Then, when I command the terminal to bundle install and enter the bundle exec jekyll serve command, the following error occurs:

Configuration file: /home/suk9206/bakuiseok.github.io/_config.yml
       Deprecation: You appear to have pagination turned on, but you haven't included the `jekyll-paginate` gem. Ensure you have `plugins: [jekyll-paginate]` in your configuration file.
            Source: /home/suk9206/bakuiseok.github.io
       Destination: /home/suk9206/bakuiseok.github.io/_site
 Incremental build: disabled. Enable with --incremental
      Generating... 
       Jekyll Feed: Generating feed for posts
Since v3.0, permalinks for pages in subfolders must be relative to the site source directory, not the parent directory. Check https://jekyllrb.com/docs/upgrading/ for more info. 
                    ------------------------------------------------
      Jekyll 4.0.0   Please append `--trace` to the `serve` command 
                     for any additional information or backtrace. 
                    ------------------------------------------------

I tried the suggested solution through the link included in the terminal error, but it was not resolved.

My GitHub Page repository

[ System Specification. ]

• Ubuntu 19.10
  • ruby 2.5.5p157 (2019-03-15 revision 67260) [x86_64-linux-gnu]
  • Gem version 2.7.6.2
  • Bundler version 2.1.
  • jekyll 4.0.0

The repository path: ~/bakuiseok.github.io
New theme

what do you get when you run serve with --trace?

it looks like you are using the theme minima, I don’t understand what you mean by overwriting the theme files. The theme files are in a different location, if you overwrite them locally I would think they get reset each time you run jekyll? not sure. The way to edit a theme is to copy the theme files into the project repo and edit them there - then those files will overwrite whatever the theme base files have.

1 Like

I gave the command to the terminal as follows:
bundle exec jekyll serve --trace

The following error statement appears:

Configuration file: /home/suk9206/bakuiseok.github.io/_config.yml
       Deprecation: You appear to have pagination turned on, but you haven't included the `jekyll-paginate` gem. Ensure you have `plugins: [jekyll-paginate]` in your configuration file.
            Source: /home/suk9206/bakuiseok.github.io
       Destination: /home/suk9206/bakuiseok.github.io/_site
 Incremental build: disabled. Enable with --incremental
      Generating... 
       Jekyll Feed: Generating feed for posts
Since v3.0, permalinks for pages in subfolders must be relative to the site source directory, not the parent directory. Check https://jekyllrb.com/docs/upgrading/ for more info. 

I’d like to apply a different Jekyll theme, not a basic theme. In order to apply another theme, I learned from the guide that must download and extract the ZIP file for that theme and then paste the file into the existing folder.

The theme I want to apply is as follows:

yes, then remove the theme line from the config since the files will be part of the repo. Make sure the layouts that theme has are what you use on each post/page.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. However, this is difficult for beginners. Can you give me a guide document for beginners? I’m looking through Google, but I can’t find the right guide for me.

looks like that theme is not one of the new jekyll theme things, it is just css and layouts and what not.

On the poole/hyde website on the left side is a download link, download that and use that as your jekyll site and change everything over to what you want it to be.

i think that is the best way to do it.

1 Like