Cannot install new themes (newbie here)

Hello everybody,
I’m starting with Jekyll already saw some tutorials on internet, and all working fine, except that i cannot install any different theme from minimal. at this point I’m confuse if I’m doing smth wrong, or is that all themes are for older versions of jekyll (I’m on 4.3.01)
at the moment i just found themes on rubygems.org, is there other place better to use a template theme?

thanks in advance.

Hello,

I made the same/similar/comparable experience.
And this is the kind of routine I developed.
I am on Mac

I download the zip > unfold it > open it in terminal (in finder at the botton, right click folder > “Open in Terminal”)
run bundle and then exec serve
if I see error messages (most of the come from Liquid, some update issue with a file called tainted.) in the terminal => I move on. Liquid and Ruby and Jekyll have sometimes version conflicts. I tried the latest three Jekyll versions in combination with the latest three Ruby versions - it’s a mess.

if it is running ok (no error message in terminal) > I go to github, add the files manually. (for some reason github is having a problem with me signing up remote; plus I have multiple github accounts and it is a hassle to change the credentials).

conclusion

if it works on my local machine, it works on GitHub.
don’t let the error message steal your thunder! Download all zip files (Supported themes | GitHub Pages) and check each of them to see which works.
Once you got something running, your mind is at ease because you found one happy path.

my current environment:

• Mac
  • ruby 3.2.0 (2022-12-25 revision a528908271) [x86_64-darwin22]
  • jekyll 4.3.2

As a “newbie” I will tell you the process for installing themes via gems (gem install jekyll-someTheme) is not the easiest process. The most simplified way to do it, if you want to test out various themes and view them is to browse the Jekyll-themes website and see the PNG of the site. Then find one you like, download it locally via git clone and then inside that directory you do bundle exec jekyll serve that will be the easiest way.

The second easiest way is to go to github while logged into your account and find a TEMPLATE, you can go to this link and find one that has a green button that says “USE THIS TEMPLATE” such as this template. You click the button and name your new repo then go to SETTINGS > PAGES and enable gh-pages to do its’ thing.

Using the method of simply changing the gem name then installing the gem, then bundling it up is not easy for sure. If you get stuck you can jump on Discord or IRC and someone can help you. If you go to my github profile and join my server I will help in any way I can. Best of luck!

1 Like