Ruby on Rails and Google Snippet on search - Jekyll SEO?

Hi,

Just curious if anybody can answer this question.

Looking at ‘successful’ Jekll websites I see RubyonRails.org is listed. I see that it uses Jekyll SEO tag, but when you look at the source of the homepage and compare it to the ‘snippet’ on Google when you search for RubyonRails I am a bit confused.

The on page (source) Jekyll SEO tag shows :

Ruby on Rails | A web-application framework that includes everything needed to create database-backed web applications according to the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern.

Yet the Google snippet on Google Search shows:

Ruby on Rails is open source software, so not only is it free to use, you can also help make it better. More than 5,000 people already have contributed code to…

This text does not appear in the ‘view source’ of the RubyonRails.org page either in the Jekyll SEO tags or as plain text, so my question is where does Google get that ‘snippet’ text from?

Any ideas?

You’re searching too literally in view source. I did a text search on the page for a few words and came across the snippet.

Google has figured out that this is a good representation of content on the page.

If you do search you’ll see that Title does get used.

And description too, depending on what you search.

Sorry for yellow images. It’s my screen settings that gets exaggerated on screenshots

Hi,

Thanks for that… and yes, I was being a bit too literal I’m afraid!

Still getting used to jekyll coming from wordpress.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a really good forum to pick peoples brains for ideas/solutions and support.

Thanks again.

1 Like