Unexpected styling behavior when pulling down from Github repo Webrick error?

I’ve been having this issue for weeks, but it is intolerable. For some reason when I pull from github the repo, and run the following command

bundle exec jekyll serve --config _config.yml,_config.dev.yml --incremental --profile

It looks FINE just once, then I change whatever it is in the code, run the exec command again and boom… Everything is messed up

This current page it is supposed to look right (I can’t attach more than one image)
But looks like this

As you can notice, the height of the images is not right, not because I’m not using the right height. And also they have a Hover effect that is not working neither.
This happens randomly, sometimes I kill the server and run the exec command again and they get the right height and the onhover effect but most of the time it is impossible for me to work on the project because of this weird behavior that I’m getting.

Some co-workers are having the same Issue and there is no logs in the console that can guide us.

Have you tried it without the --incremental flag? Incremental builds in my experience can experience all kinds of unpredictable results.

If that doesn’t help things, if you inspect the blocks with your web developer tools, does the CSS change? Where is the CSS coming from when it’s working correctly vs. when it’s not? Do you have any JavaScript that may be misbehaving and writing inline styles?

Hard to tell what’s going on when all you have is a screenshot. It could be a myriad of things.

  1. I have tried without the --incremental flag, throws me the same result
  2. I inspected with my dev tools all the elements that gets affected, and I notice that they loose a few properties, like the height or hover . Even when they are explicitly declared in the CSS file.
  3. Sometimes I just randomly build the project and it works as expected, but as soon as I implement some changes and save, it breaks again.
  4. Yes, I have some Javascript files but none of them are throwing me errors of some kind.
  5. Actually something that I missed to say is that I’m getting the following error logs in my console.
[2020-01-29 15:34:01] ERROR Errno::ECONNRESET: Connection reset by peer @ io_fillbuf - fd:16 
        /Users/aeum3893/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.5/lib/ruby/2.6.0/webrick/httpserver.rb:82:in `eof?'
        /Users/aeum3893/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.5/lib/ruby/2.6.0/webrick/httpserver.rb:82:in `run'
        /Users/aeum3893/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.5/lib/ruby/2.6.0/webrick/server.rb:307:in `block in start_thread'
[2020-01-29 15:34:01] ERROR Errno::ECONNRESET: Connection reset by peer @ io_fillbuf - fd:17 
        /Users/aeum3893/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.5/lib/ruby/2.6.0/webrick/httpserver.rb:82:in `eof?'
        /Users/aeum3893/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.5/lib/ruby/2.6.0/webrick/httpserver.rb:82:in `run'
        /Users/aeum3893/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.5/lib/ruby/2.6.0/webrick/server.rb:307:in `block in start_thread'

I know that this is a very broad open question about what’s happening with the project, but I’m actually finding it challenging to communicate this weird behavior.
I through some research that it may be the webrick lib, but that’s kind of abstract back-end ruby issues

If your project is public it might help troubleshoot. At the very least it would identify if it’s a problem with your Ruby environment or the project itself.

I actually found the problem. You were right about the --incremental flag. But, it was because in the config.dev.yml file, there was a line of code setting incremental: true to be true, and I was missing it. Even when running the bundle exec jekyll serve command without the incremental flag, it was being executed anyways.

However, I’m facing a new issue. Whenever I make a change and save, the project autoreloads itself and then breaks again. To be able to make changes to the project I have to kill the server and run the bundle exec jekyll serve --config _config.yml,_config.dev.yml command again.

I’ll write a new post for it.

Thank you!