Trouble creating a new jekyll site: “Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory”

I am trying to create a Jekyll site hosted on GitHub Pages, and have been following the GitHub Pages tutorial to do so.

When I run bundle exec jekyll 4.0.1 new in the terminal (as in step 7 in the tutorial, 4.0.1 being the version of jekyll on my machine), it fails with Could not locate Gemfile or .bundle/ directory.

I’ve double checked the dependencies with jekyll -v, git --version, bundler -v, ruby -v, gem -v and all are installed so I’m not sure where I’ve gone wrong.

I’m running macOS 10.15.4.

1 Like

You don’t need to prepend bundle exec when running jekyll new because you don’t have a Jekyll workspace yet.

Just run jekyll new <path> and the workspace will be created for you.
However, once you cd into that directory, you must prepend bundle exec when invoking a Jekyll command.

3 Likes

The previous answer is correct. If you want to use global jekyll to make a new project then leave out the prefix.

I had the same question as @matthewlaw and this suggestion didn’t immediately work for me, because I installed Jekyll using gem install jekyll bundler, as recommended in the Jekyll quickstart, and the path to gem binaries was not in my PATH (possibly because I had installed Ruby using Homebrew?)

I had to first add the gems’ path to my shell profile (as described in this StackOverflow post), to be able to run jekyll directly (instead of via bundler). I thought I’d post this here in case it helps others!