Initial Jekyll Build missing folders/files

As you can see from the screenshot, when I tell Jekyll to create a new project, I am missing the _includes, _sass, etc… folders… Anyone have a clue why this might be and how to work around it?

Thanks!

Capture

Use jekyll new --blank instead.

It will scaffold out a new site with the includes and layouts folders. Running just jekyll new creates a new site with the default gem-based theme, which has those folders/files bundled within it and not directly accessible.

Ref: https://jekyllrb.com/docs/usage/

After running jekyll new blah --blank, I get this when trying to exec…

C:\xampp\htdocs\blah>bundle exec jekyll serve
Traceback (most recent call last):
2: from C:/Ruby25-x64/bin/jekyll:23:in <main>' 1: from C:/Ruby25-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/bundler-2.0.1/lib/bundler/rubygems_integration.rb:482:inblock in replace_bin_path’
C:/Ruby25-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/bundler-2.0.1/lib/bundler/rubygems_integration.rb:462:in `block in replace_bin_path’: can’t find executable jekyll for gem jekyll. jekyll is not currently included in the bundle, perhaps you meant to add it to your Gemfile? (Gem::Exception)

Assuming this means to create a gemfile within the folder, added the rubygems source and then try again?

I don’t use a gemfile/bundler - try running it without bundler - so just jekyll serve. It is not recommended but I find it simpler for what I do which is all solo stuff that I have control over.

Tried that and the rest of them many times… I have no idea what’s going on but it’s clearly not populating a full file structure.

Do you know of a way I can simply create files/subfolders and point them to compile? Possibly in the config.yml?

not sure what your problem is - the above post says you got an error about jekyll not being found - did you get past that?

if your problem is what you don’t have the _includes/_sass folders and what not did you try what MM said in his post? they aren’t there when you do jekyll new as they are needed by the default theme. If you are not using a theme you can just create them yourself, or fork someone elses as needed.

I figured it all out. Thanks!

I’m having the same issue as someone who has no experience coding or anything. I fully set up and wrote everything into my blog, publishing it on Github before I realized that I don’t have access to the _includes file for Google Analytics services. Is there any way to access/create that file as I am now without having to create a new blog?