SSL certificate error for external link

I’m using MathJax for jekyll blog, and seems like it occurs Travis CI error with SSL certificate. I do not know much about SSL certificate, but the external link does work for sure.
I tried
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev and installed it, but error still happens.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

$ script/cibuild
Configuration file: C:/Users/user/Desktop/Jwmc999.github.io/_config.yml
            Source: C:/Users/user/Desktop/Jwmc999.github.io
       Destination: C:/Users/user/Desktop/Jwmc999.github.io/_site
 Incremental build: disabled. Enable with --incremental
      Generating...
       Jekyll Feed: Generating feed for posts
                    done in 2.179 seconds.
 Auto-regeneration: disabled. Use --watch to enable.
Running ["ScriptCheck", "LinkCheck", "ImageCheck", "HtmlCheck"] on ["./_site"] on *.html...

Checking 1 external link...
Ran on 43 files!

- ./_site/Recursion/index.html
  *  External link https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-chtml.js failed: response code 0 means something's wrong.
             It's possible libcurl couldn't connect to the server or perhaps the request timed out.
             Sometimes, making too many requests at once also breaks things.
             Either way, the return message (if any) from the server is: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

HTML-Proofer found 1 failure!

Thanks

Do a search for your error. It is very specific to your situation and not Jekyll related.

I searched

jsdeliver cdn peer certificate

on Google.

I found a CocoaPods error for a different package on the same CDN.

It looks like expired cert and it affects certain regions. Someone said they would report to the site.

So this is outside of your control. So I’d say figure out how to add that domain to the ignore URLs list if that is supported in your tool

1 Like

@MichaelCurrin, thanks for always answering my questions!

The thing is, this html-proofer error does not occur when I push to remote

Run sh script/cibuild
Configuration file: /home/runner/work/Jwmc999.github.io/Jwmc999.github.io/_config.yml
            Source: /home/runner/work/Jwmc999.github.io/Jwmc999.github.io
       Destination: /home/runner/work/Jwmc999.github.io/Jwmc999.github.io/_site
      Generating... 
                    done in 0.897 seconds.
Running ["ScriptCheck", "LinkCheck", "ImageCheck", "HtmlCheck"] on ["./_site"] on *.html... 

Ran on 44 files!

HTML-Proofer finished successfully.
Inspecting 3 files
..W

Offenses:

script/validate-html:1:1: W: Lint/ScriptPermission: Script file validate-html doesn't have execute permission.
#!usr/bin/env  ruby
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3 files inspected, 1 offense detected

So I thought maybe I ignore it, but this time, the Action shows False Warning for shebang in first line.
Though shebang error does not appear when I run rubocop -a in local

$ rubocop -a
Inspecting 3 files

3 files inspected, no offenses detected

Tried

Lint/ScriptPermission:
Enabled: false

Then I cannot execute script/validate-html at all. Says bundler: unexecuatble script/valid-html

I really don’t know how to solve this false warning problem, because in local, it’s already working! Shouldn’t local and remote work simultaneously??

The problem is not the shebang but what the error says - that the script is not executable and therefore the shebang is useless.

Also it is just “W” for warning so you can get by without changes if you want.

Make the script executable.

chmod +x scripts/valid-html

Or remove the shebang.

And commit it.

I don’t know why you need that ScriptPermission script to check script permissions. You’d get an error when running the script if there wasn’t permissions or it wouldn’t matter because you use ruby scripts/valid-html instead.

If you want to make them all executable (also must add shebangs where missing):

chmod +x scripts/*

As for different environment behavior :

Your local and remote environments might use something different for sh (dash on ubuntu but bash on mac) plus bash and ruby etc. could have different versions on environments.

Also your CI flow might be different. I have to see the exact set of commands on CI and what you run locally to check they are indeed the same.

chmod +x did solve the failure of workflows but not the page build failure…here’s my repo https://github.com/Jwmc999/Jwmc999.github.io/actions

After I changed to chmod +x, my ruby still accepts only sh script/cibuild and script/cibuild, not chmod +x script/cibuild. Same for script/bootstrap.

user@DESKTOP-NJK3JG0 MINGW64 ~/Desktop/Jwmc999.github.io (main)
$ chmod +x script/cibuild

$ chmod +x script/bootstrap

$ sh script/cibuild
      Generating...
                    done in 2.01 seconds.

Ran on 44 files!

*  External link https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-chtml.js failed: response code 0 means something's wrong.
             It's possible libcurl couldn't connect to the server or perhaps the request timed out.
             Either way, the return message (if any) from the server is: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

$ script/cibuild
      Generating...
                    done in 1.854 seconds.

Ran on 44 files!

Don’t use sh to execute your scripts. It is different on each system. It’s an alias. plus using sh scriptname will ignore your executable permission status and shebang

Rather use this once off.

chmod +x scripts/my-script

And the shebang would be

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

Or

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# or if you prefer 
#!/bin/bash

Then when you execute locally directly or in another script or GH actions, use this style.

./scripts/my-script

That will use Ruby or Bash as needed.

1 Like

Oh sorry just saw you’re on Windows.

I don’t know if sh works on Windows but bash of course won’t work unless you’re in a Linux sub system…

1 Like

I see workflow passing

but like you say GH Pages failing

Try this yourself locally to see whats up

bundle install
bundle update
bundle exec jekyll build --trace

I can’t see the error log even for my own repos, to see enough detail.

You need to update your CI commands.

Research what chmod does. As I said, use chmod +x PATH but locally only, then commit it.

Then you can run this locally on and GH actions

./script/bootstrap
./script/cibuild

in place of this.

1 Like

Thanks Million! I installed ubuntu 20.04 and reinstalled ruby and jekyll and run chmod +x on script. also revised CI files and script (.travis.yml, ci.yml, and files under script directory) as you commented. Now the page finally build! Also, no SSL error at all. The problem was CI of my theme set for ubuntu but I didn’t have it local so making script executable was not possible, every time when I pushed to remote. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like