Newbie questions please!

I’ve had a brief look through the Jekyll documentation. I’m looking for a database-less, PHP-less and script-less tool to build a static website, so Jeyyll can do that, is that correct ?

Can I do the building part on Kubuntu 20.04 ? I assume so as there are some Ubuntu instructions. I don’t have a test web server, only a live one, shared hosting site. Do I have all the tools to build locally on Kubuntu and then deploy to the live site ??

Is Jekyll only used for the building process, like local on a *nix box ? Is the final output HTML and CSS files only ?

I see Ruby version 2.4 or greater, Synaptic shows heaps of ruby packages, even quite a few named ruby-jekyll-…

I’m assuming ruby only has to be installed locally for the building process, and not remotely on a server, is that correct please ?

1 Like

… build a static website, so Jekyll can do that, is that correct ?

Yes

Do I have all the tools to build locally on Kubuntu and then deploy to the live site ??

You’ll need the packages described in Ubuntu Installation guide and something like rsync for deployment.

Is Jekyll only used for the building process, like local on a *nix box ? Is the final output HTML and CSS files only ?

Yes, the final output is a static website made of HTML, CSS, JS, images, etc.

I see Ruby version 2.4 or greater, Synaptic shows heaps of ruby packages, even quite a few named ruby-jekyll-…

Ubuntu has a jekyll package, but it usually an older version. If you want to use a specific version of Jekyll (e.g. latest 4 or 3), then it is best to install Ruby and then install the desired Jekyll Gem.

I’m assuming ruby only has to be installed locally for the building process, and not remotely on a server, is that correct please ?

Yes, all that is need on the remote/production machine is a web server like Apache, Nginx, etc.

2 Likes

@chuckhoupt Great, thanks very much for your replies.

The installation was a BREEZE, no problems. Documentation is excellent. Thank you.