Jekyll does not apply custom CSS with minima theme? Also local installation no longer exist for jekyll/ruby?

Hi!

I’m trying to run a simple jekyll blog site to keep track of my progress through a personal project, i got it working no issue so far, yet when i tried to use CSS content for testing different small modifications (as for now, just changing the header color), it just does not apply a single thing, Github Actions did report an issue for non existent files (under _sass/, since i did not import it), after fixing it*, no CSS is appearing to be applied.

my /assets/css/style.scss file

---
---

@import
  "minima/skins/{{ site.minima.skin | default: 'classic' }}",
  "minima/initialize";

header {
    background-image: linear-gradient(black, grey) !important;
}

Am i doing something wrong here? How can i get to apply my custom CSS?

For reference, this is the content of my current jekyll site:

404.html
about.markdown
assets/css/style.scss
_config.yml
Gemfile
Gemfile.lock
index.markdown
_posts
README.md
_sass
_site

On the other hand, when i try to test jekyll serve locally, even though i am 100% sure i installed it and tested the site, my jekyll serve command returns a command not found, and i somewhat recall to have installed some ruby packages thingy through bundler or gem, could that be possible? if so, can i return to a functional state for my jekyll local installation?

Thanks in advance!

• by “fixing it” i mean i downloaded minima’s repo and moved the _sass directory within my own site, nothing else.