How to find a freelance jekyll developer?

Hi, I have a couple of sites I built with jekyll and I’m not that good at the css and styling. Can I get some advice about how to find an experienced freelancer who might be able to spend a few hours helping me improve a few things? I think it might be a good use of my time to pay someone rather than learning how to do it myself. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Regards,
Emily Bache

HI @emilybache,

Jekyll is standard HTML (with Liquid when you want to do something programmatically) and styling using standard CSS and or SASS (which gets converted to CSS). There may certainly be people here that can help you, and in general, I find the community here is pretty good and not spammy.

That said, when I need to style something, I usually find someone on Fiverr who can take on some or all of my projects based on my needs. For example, to create my agileinaction.com website, I had someone help me with CSS Grids to display my podcast posts, and then someone else to add some of the base styles and colors to the site. The cost was probably $150 and I did not have to invest in learning those technologies as much as I would have had to.

That said, if you have specific requirements, I suggest you post them here so people that may be willing to help understand the scope of your request. For example: “I want my website to be centered on the page, offer a light and dark theme, and be more mobile friendly. Here is my website: https://…”

Also, here is a Discord called Jekyllgems that is fairly new, but does have a looking-to-hire forum.

I hope that helps!

Hi, Thankyou that’s good to know. I joined the discord. I will also take a look at fiverr - it seems very cost effective. That might be the thing to do for smaller jobs like the ones you mentioned.

I’ve got a few things in mind.

1. sammancoaching.org (sourcecode is open on github) - I’d like it to work better on a mobile phone. At the moment it’s all fixed width pages.

2. I’d like to apply a totally new graphical profile to this site: http://bacheconsulting.com/ - I’ve got new colours and a logo and banner for example.

3. For both sites I’d like to add some analytics so I can see which pages are most popular and preferably where visitors come from.

I’m thinking that (1) might be a small job for someone on fiverr but (2) and (3) might be better with someone I can build a long-term relationship with. What would you recommend?

Regards,
Emily

Given what you are looking to do, you might want a more long-term relationship with someone.

Alternatively, you might want to check out the Jekyll themes with the look you are going for and then move your content into that. It might be more manageable. There are free and paid versions; I will not list them all here. You can find a resource list using the following link, and you can also find more in the Share area of this forum.

Those bachconsulting.com boxes show the different types of services (technical, keynote, trainer) and were probably created with Flexbox, CSS Grids, or a web UI framework, such as Bootstrap.

1 Like

Hi,

I have 7+ years of static site development experience using Jekyll and Hugo. I can provide my services for your Jekyll websites as per your requirement.

Let us connect over chat to discuss more about the project.
I look forward to your response.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you
Akash Kumar Sharma
Delhi, Bharat

I couldn’t work out how to reply to only you, I’m interested in talking more though. Can you send me a message via the contact form on sammancoaching.org or the Discord server mentioned earlier in the thread?

I have mentioned my contact details via PM on this Jekyll forum here https://talk.jekyllrb.com/t/re-how-to-find-a-freelance-jekyll-developer/8491 .

Thank you

The link you provide shows “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.”

That is a PM thread so only @emilybache has access to it.

If you would like to avail my services for Jekyll ,
We can communicate using any of the following methods:

Thank you

@emilybache
I hope you have received my messages on email, discord.

Thank you
Akash Kumar Sharma
Delhi, Bharat

@emilybache

Proposal and quotation emailed via vyom@vyom.site.

Thank you