How to deal with _sass converting errors?

This is not the first time I’ve seen this kind of error, but it has been a long time since the last time… I cannot remember the solution, but I can’t forget that it takes always ages to find out what is going on. The two main reasons (AFAIK) are that: 1) I’m using gitlab, and not github (and it takes time to find something about), and 2) that the error happens in an imaginary line which I can’t find…

Here is how I got to the error:

• created and published (to gitlab pages) a new blog with Minima. It was working both locally and after being published.
  • Minimal Mistakes theme installed and working locally.

Here is the last error I’ve got after pushing:

Destination: public
 Incremental build: disabled. Enable with --incremental
      Generating... 
  Conversion error: Jekyll::Converters::Scss encountered an error while converting 'assets/css/main.scss':
                    Invalid US-ASCII character "\xE2" on line 54
jekyll 3.5.2 | Error:  Invalid US-ASCII character "\xE2" on line 54
ERROR: Job failed: exit code 1

I’ve found some issues about this: both on jekyll’s and minimal mistakes’s repositories, and also at some other places, but they all fall into to different approaches:

• An US-ASCII invalid character that should be replaced

but which I couldn’t find (neither grepping nor manually checking the files), or:

• or some locale info (locale-gen en_US.UTF-8 etc) that should be added to docker or maybe .gitlab-ci.yml

and I really don’t have a clue about how/when/where/why…

My main doubt right now is: how to read those error messages about a line that I can’t find (since the it is not compiled yet, and since I couldn’t find anything on _site/ to give me a clue)? But any help on how to solve the issue is appreciated, as well as a better way to rephrase the topic’s title.

Thanks in advance!

Last year I was playing with GL and the ci stuff - I do not remember that much about it, but in my ci file I do have some locale stuff that I had to put in there to get it to work, under script - do you have anything like that in your ci file?

I am not using the awesome MM theme - just my own stuff.

A lot of what I was trying to accomplish had to do with getting a minify script to work as well as pushing to S3 - that is why this is such a long file I think.

Here it is, definitely do not copy it as is, just see if adding the locale stuff (5-6 lines I think) in the same part helps:

image: ruby:2.3
test:
  stage: test
  script:
  - gem install jekyll
  - jekyll build -d test
  artifacts:
    paths:
    - test
  except:
  - master
pages:
  stage: deploy
  script:
  - apt-get update -y
  - apt-get install -y openjdk-7-jre-headless
  - apt-get install -y locales
  - echo "en_US UTF-8" > /etc/locale.gen
  - locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
  - export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  - export LANGUAGE=en_US:en
  - export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
  - gem install therubyracer
  - gem install reduce
  - gem install jekyll
  - jekyll --version
  - gem install s3_website
  - gem install octopress-autoprefixer
  - jekyll build -d public
  - rake minify
  - s3_website push
  artifacts:
    paths:
    - public
  only:
  - master

Thanks again, @rdyar!

I had the kind of “official” .gitlab-ci.yml for jekyll. And it has only one line on its pages: scripts:, which is: - bundle exec jekyll build -d public.

On the issues mentioned on the first post, there are some mentions to adding something about the locale (such as - export LANG=en_US.UTF-8), but I wasn’t sure at this should be on the .gitlab-ci.yml, and even if it should be there, I didn’t know where exactly. However, thanks to your .gitlab-ci.yml it is working now.

I took the first 8 lines of your pages: script: section, and added them before the - bundle exec jekyll build -d public.

Here is the whole file for reference (in case anyone needs it):

image: ruby:2.3

variables:
  JEKYLL_ENV: production

before_script:
  - bundle install

test:
  stage: test
  script:
  - bundle exec jekyll build -d test
  artifacts:
    paths:
    - test
  except:
  - master

pages:
  stage: deploy
  script:
  - apt-get update -y
  - apt-get install -y openjdk-7-jre-headless
  - apt-get install -y locales
  - echo "en_US UTF-8" > /etc/locale.gen
  - locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
  - export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  - export LANGUAGE=en_US:en
  - export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
  - bundle exec jekyll build -d public
  artifacts:
    paths:
    - public
  only:
  - master

I’m not sure if this is most effective way to solve the problem, but it does work (but any feedback is welcome). :slight_smile:

If anyone has any idea on how to properly understanding these “_sass” erros, I would be really thankful. And any suggestion to a better title to this topic would be appreciated as well.

this line installs java which you should not need so you can probably remove it and it will go a little faster and should still work properly. I was installing java so that the s3_website gem would work.

Glad it worked!

as for where the error is, from what I saw reading different issues it is probably something in a comment in the sass files. As long as the locale is set I don’t think there is an actual error.

Thanks!

In this case, it would be better off with another erro message. Anyway, thanks again . (: