How to buils So-Simple-Theme

Hi.
i’m trying to build this nice so-simple-theme locally.
What I see if I build it is it’s parent directory file manager. Am I missing something?
I’m using the latest version of jekyll and went through this good practice from the author of the theme for the users to submit issues.

• Verify you have the latest versions of Jekyll and Minimal Mistakes
    installed by running bundle update.
  • Thoroughly read the theme’s documentation at
    README.md
  • Search all issues at /issues
    for solutions and to avoid duplication.
  • Ask for help at talkjekyllrb

What you need to do is “serve” the site to preview it on your browser.

bundle exec jekyll serve

Then point your browser to http:://localhost:4000/

well, I normally launch jekyll serve.
I’ve run your script, the result is the same

I think that is a gem based theme and you cloned it and are expecting it to be a website… I think you need to have an existing jekyll site (could just be a new site) and then you get that theme by specifying it in your config or installing the gem.

I don’t use gem based themes so I am not too sure about it, but I think that is what is happening based on the files listed in your screenshot and what is in his repo.

from the docs “you can quickly install the theme as a Ruby gem”

I think you might be able to see it work if you add an index.html page to it with the correct layout/front matter.

The theme has been set up to be used as a fork-and-deploy site as well. The theme’s Readme has mentions alluding to the same…

Perhaps @mmistakes himself can diagnose this faster…

Hard to say without seeing the site’s source code. If I had to guess from the screenshot alone, there is no index.html file at the /blog. Which is why only a directory of files on the server is being shown.

You can certainly fork the theme’s repo, but you need to actually populate it with content. A better starter would be to use what is in the /example folder as that has a home page, some sample posts, sample collection, etc. to see how everything should be scaffolded out.

Similar to what @rdyar suggested, starting with jekyll new and then installing the theme would get you there faster. Forking requires extra steps, adding content, removing development files, and losing the benefit of installing/updating the theme easier via ruby gem or remote theme.

Ok thanks will do.
I’ll start with a vanilla jekyll and install the theme via gem.