Getting liquid-c working

I’ve had liquid-c in my Gemfile for a while, and TBH just assumed I was getting the benefits from it.

Looking at some debug output (unrelated) I see: Couldn't load liquid-c. Skipping.

Odd, I try require 'liquid-c' in irb, LoadError: cannot load such file -- liquid-c, no luck there.

Finding liquid c’s GH Repo it seems the syntax is require 'liquid/c'. Give that a go:

irb(main):002:0> require 'liquid/c'
NameError: uninitialized constant Liquid::BlockBody
Did you mean?  Liquid::Block
	from /usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
	from /usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
	from /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/liquid-c-3.0.0/lib/liquid/c.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'
	from /usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:127:in `require'
	from /usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:127:in `rescue in require'
	from /usr/lib/ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:40:in `require'
	from (irb):2
	from /usr/bin/irb:11:in `<main>'

(We get the same result when putting liquid/c into the gems: list in _config.yml.)

I’ve filed an issue with liquid C. It appears to only affect their 3.x branch (they’re now on 4.x). So I’m wondering, has liquid-c ever worked with Jekyll? As a lack of it is only seen in a rather busy debug log.

Has anyone got liquid-c working?

I just added it to my Gemfile on a large Jekyll 4.1.1 site, and it had no impact on the build times :thinking: were you ever able to find out more @wjdp?

@kvz Don’t think I did any more on this since that post, sorry!

I recently got a string of errors that show liquid 4.0.3 was the processor even though I’ve got liquid-c in my Gemfile. I’d be very curious to hear how to output the gems being used when building Jekyll to know if what was in my Gemfile was working.