Unknown Jekyll build warnings

Hello everybody. It’s so great to be in this awesome community.

Jekyll version: 4.0.1

I’m experiencing trouble when I run

jekyll serve --trace --watch

because I get these warnings:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/fileutils/version.rb:4: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::VERSION
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/fileutils-1.4.1/lib/fileutils.rb:105: warning: previous definition of VERSION was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/fileutils.rb:1267: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::Entry_::S_IF_DOOR
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/fileutils-1.4.1/lib/fileutils.rb:1284: warning: previous definition of S_IF_DOOR was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/fileutils.rb:1540: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::Entry_::DIRECTORY_TERM
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/fileutils-1.4.1/lib/fileutils.rb:1568: warning: previous definition of DIRECTORY_TERM was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/fileutils.rb:1595: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::OPT_TABLE
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/fileutils-1.4.1/lib/fileutils.rb:1626: warning: previous definition of OPT_TABLE was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/fileutils.rb:1649: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::LOW_METHODS
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/fileutils-1.4.1/lib/fileutils.rb:1685: warning: previous definition of LOW_METHODS was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/fileutils.rb:1656: warning: already initialized constant FileUtils::METHODS
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/fileutils-1.4.1/lib/fileutils.rb:1692: warning: previous definition of METHODS was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/universal-darwin19/strscan.bundle: warning: already initialized constant StringScanner::Version
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/universal-darwin19/strscan.bundle: warning: already initialized constant StringScanner::Id
Configuration file: /Users/xplosionmind/programming/xplosionmind/_config.yml
            Source: /Users/xplosionmind/programming/xplosionmind
       Destination: /Users/xplosionmind/programming/xplosionmind/_site
 Incremental build: disabled. Enable with --incremental
      Generating...
       Jekyll Feed: Generating feed for posts
                    done in 6.111 seconds.
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:227: warning: already initialized constant Logger::VERSION
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/version.rb:4: warning: previous definition of VERSION was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:235: warning: already initialized constant Logger::ProgName
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger.rb:240: warning: previous definition of ProgName was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:246: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Severity::DEBUG
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/severity.rb:7: warning: previous definition of DEBUG was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:248: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Severity::INFO
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/severity.rb:9: warning: previous definition of INFO was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:250: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Severity::WARN
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/severity.rb:11: warning: previous definition of WARN was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:252: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Severity::ERROR
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/severity.rb:13: warning: previous definition of ERROR was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:254: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Severity::FATAL
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/severity.rb:15: warning: previous definition of FATAL was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:256: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Severity::UNKNOWN
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/severity.rb:17: warning: previous definition of UNKNOWN was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:575: warning: already initialized constant Logger::SEV_LABEL
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger.rb:578: warning: previous definition of SEV_LABEL was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:588: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Formatter::Format
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/formatter.rb:6: warning: previous definition of Format was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/logger.rb:623: warning: already initialized constant Logger::Period::SiD
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/logger-1.4.2/lib/logger/period.rb:7: warning: previous definition of SiD was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/forwardable.rb:116: warning: already initialized constant Forwardable::VERSION
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/forwardable-1.3.1/lib/forwardable/version.rb:3: warning: previous definition of VERSION was here
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/forwardable.rb:117: warning: already initialized constant Forwardable::FORWARDABLE_VERSION
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/forwardable-1.3.1/lib/forwardable/version.rb:4: warning: previous definition of FORWARDABLE_VERSION was here
 Auto-regeneration: enabled for '/Users/xplosionmind/programming/xplosionmind'
    Server address: http://127.0.0.1:4000/
  Server running... press ctrl-c to stop.

The site loads and is deployed correctly, both in my localhost and on Netlify. Unfortunately, some plugins don’t work and I fear it is because of these warnings.

By running bundle exec jekyll --trace --watch I get no warnings, instead.

I can’t find a meaning to them, I’m quite new to Jekyll… what could solve these issues? This is happening since I upgraded from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1. Could this be a Ruby-related issue? If it is, is there anything I can do to temporarily solve/fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Tommi

UPDATE (GETTING WORSE)

I thought by performing a general update and upgrade I may be able to solve the issue. It got worse, instead: website doesn’t compile.

I ran:

sudo bundle update
sudo gem update
bundle install

then, I ran bundle exec jekyll serve --trace --watch, everything worked. When running jekyll serve --trace --watch I get this, instead:

Traceback (most recent call last):
	10: from /usr/local/bin/jekyll:23:in `<main>'
	 9: from /usr/local/bin/jekyll:23:in `load'
	 8: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/jekyll-4.1.0/exe/jekyll:11:in `<top (required)>'
	 7: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/jekyll-4.1.0/lib/jekyll/plugin_manager.rb:52:in `require_from_bundler'
	 6: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler.rb:149:in `setup'
	 5: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:26:in `setup'
	 4: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:26:in `map'
	 3: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:147:in `each'
	 2: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler/spec_set.rb:147:in `each'
	 1: from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:31:in `block in setup'
/Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/bundler-2.1.4/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:312:in `check_for_activated_spec!': You have already activated mercenary 0.4.0, but your Gemfile requires mercenary 0.3.6. Prepending `bundle exec` to your command may solve this. (Gem::LoadError)

Delete Gemfile.lock and run bundle exec jekyll serve --trace again.
Remember, if there is Gemfile, always prepend bunde exec

1 Like