Structured front matter tags?

I’d like to incorporate structured front matter tags to lock down the options available to authors. For example, I want each page to have a “tags” property with specific options. I’d also like each page to have a “last_reviewed” tag with a date in a specific format. How can enforce any kind of structure with my page content like this?

you could use Front Matter Defaults to passively dictate certain behavior.

With FMD,

defaults:
  - scope:
      path: ""
      type: posts
    values:
      layout: post
      read_time: true
      categories: posts

- scope:
      path: ""
      type: pages
    values:
      layout: page
      read_time: true
      categories: pages

With the above, all posts will take on the post layout, will have the time-to-read feature active (requires plugins / 3rd-party-code) and the default url will have /posts/ prepended to it.
Similarly, all files with Front Matter dashes will take on the page layout, have the time-to-read feature enabled, and the default url will have /pages/ prepended to it.

Also available are site.tags and site.categories that’ll give you the list of all such variables defined for your site.

A

Thanks. I’m familiar with defaults and think they’re pretty nifty, but in this case, the values aren’t all the same. In particular, the last_modified tag or list of reviewers will vary by page.