Need help Creating Child Posts in Jekyll: Abstract to Full Article Transition

Hello,

This is my first time using Jekyll for a website.

I am currently using the Lagrange template (GitHub - LeNPaul/Lagrange: A minimalist Jekyll theme for running a personal blog powered by Jekyll and GitHub Pages) for testing on localhost.

I would like to inquire about creating a child post in Jekyll.

As far as I understand, a mypost.md file in the _post folder becomes a full article post on the website. However, what I intend is for mypost.md to be an abstract article page, with a link from this abstract page leading to the full article page (which I will create).

Here’s the structure I have in mind:

->_post
----->mypost.md
--------->fullmypost.md
----->myotherpost.md
--------->fullmyotherpost.md

Note that fullmypost.md and fullmyotherpost.md should not appear on the website; they are subchildren of the parent posts. I hope I’m not causing any confusion.

Can someone assist me with this?

Thank you.

1 Like

if they aren’t on the website how will the viewer see them? I think you are saying you don’t want the link to them to be anywhere other than within the mypost page?

• if you are doing posts you need to include the date in the filename so mypost.md is not a valid post name
  • you can have a post excerpt, would that work for you?

I’m not sure what you mean by abstract, I think maybe excerpt would make more sense but I am not real clear about what you want to do.

if they aren’t on the website how will the viewer see them? I think you are saying you don’t want the link to them to be anywhere other than within the mypost page?

ah you’re correct… my bad , i have difficulty on how to describe it but you’re understood what i mean correctly . the full article page should be linked only from parent post

if you are doing posts you need to include the date in the filename so mypost.md is not a valid post name

yes i used the date in filename , the md in my previous post is just example

you can have a post excerpt, would that work for you?

basically what i mean with abstract is just like academic article publication where abstract page is just a page that contain general information about the article such as date submitted,author ,excerpt teaser , how to cite and including link to the full text article

yes, excerpt can also works but the standard Jekyll post is sufficient . i can manually format the .md as my like something like this

---
layout: post
title: "post about religion"
author: Sal
categories: religion
tags: [writing, contribution, guidelines, submission, publishing]

---

## authors

- author 1
- author 2
- author 4

## Published 

Dec 31, 2019 

##Abstract

excerpt or summary of full article 

Afilliation:

some org

## Full Article 

link to sub post that contain full aticle (not just the excerpt) http://localhost/2019-02-02-fullarticleabstract1.md

and the child post

---
layout: post
title: "full article post about religion"
author: Sal
categories: religion
tags: [writing, contribution, guidelines, submission, publishing]

---

## full article post about religion (article title)

full article text

live example the abstract page :

https://ojs.unud.ac.id/index.php/jvet/article/view/48078

and full text article or download the full article in pdf format

https://ojs.unud.ac.id/index.php/jvet/article/view/48078/32922

my goal is to structure my post into something like that (main post having child post)

------->_post
---------------->2019-02-03-abstract1.md
---------------------------->2019-02-03-fullarticle.md

---------------->2019-02-02-abstract2.md
---------------------------->2019-02-02-fullarticle.md

Have you tried creating a different collection for the full articles?

i haven’t tried …im still not fully understand jekyll …i need to read how the “collection” works

but is it something like this?

-------> _abstracts
    --------------------> mypost.md
   ------------------- -> myotherpost.md
-------> _full_articles
    --------------------> fullmypost.md
    --------------------> fullmyotherpost.md

Jekyll Collections can be considered separated contents that output their way and are not mixed with the other posts.

For example, I have the regular content output under the /articles/ path in my blog, and other contents detached from the main pagination (the downloads, projects, and showcase collections).

In my case these collections have their separate pagination because I have enabled them with another addon, otherwise, as default, they would output hidden.

The idea I am suggesting is to create the full_article collection and keep them independent from their abstracts, which are published as regular posts.

However, you can still link the former to the latter because you can configure the permalink for each collection as you do for regular posts, and keep the same filename, or save the connected filename in the front matter and create the proper link.
So for example you can have:

/abstracts/bla-bla-bla.html
/full/bla-bla-bla.html

You can play with output paths as you want and configure the params to have also:

/posts/bla-bla-bla.html
/posts/full/bla-bla-bla.html

or whatever Jekyll allows you to do.

2 Likes

thankyou @fabiomux

i’ll give it a try

1 Like

thank you @fabiomux

ill give it a try

1 Like