My website is not ranking well on Google

Hello. I’m struggling to understand why my website often gets unranked by Google. It is crawled and indexed, Google Search Console doesnt report any manual actions to undertake. I’ve checked it with several SEO tools and no major issues were reported. Could it be because of incorrect canonical urls or is it something else? Any tips are much appreciated. Thanks.

In spite of all SEO hype, there is still one dominating factor for ranking: do other sites link to it? Your site looks very nice & clear, and has some content. My own approach would be: Keep on adding interesting content, and they will come & link.

In spite of all SEO hype, there is still one dominating factor for ranking: do other sites link to it?

True. However, not the main problem in this case.

Could it be because of incorrect canonical urls or is it something else?

Yes, you are spot on… your canonical points to ‘.netlify.com/’ while your website is at ‘.netlify.app/’. That makes it IMPOSSIBLE to rank in Google. Your website tells google that it is only allowed to index the .com URL, while that URL redirects to .app. A redirect cannot be indexed and Google is not allowed to index the (correct) .app URL due to your canonical. Google Search Console should mention a faulty canonical link.

1 Like

Wow, a great explanation, thanks! I never noticed that problem, that should help him.

Also the robots file tells Google to go to another domain

https://szimpla-jekyll-theme.netlify.app/robots.txt

Fix your config url for the .app extension as discussed above