Feel like reviewing my Install Jekyll Environment videos and getting a mention?

I built my first website using Jekyll. On that site, I host my Agile in Action Podcast website. The podcast is doing really well now, so I am working with a designer to finalize a fresh new stand-alone site. I decided to make the site re-design a little training project, but me being me, I couldn’t help myself and am now creating a whole training series around it.

The first step to setting up Jekyll is to create a local development environment (well, you don’t have to, but it is really good to have). Therefore, I took a lot of time defining the process from end-to-end on a Mac.

At the time of this writing, the videos are not fully complete and are on an unlisted (but fully accessible) YouTube playlist (see below).

These videos are draft, so they could be replaced or removed completely. I say that because if you share the links, they may not work in the future since they are not yet complete.

Here is the first video in the playlist:

If you click the YouTube link, you will be brought to the YouTube site and you will see all the other videos in the playlist.

If you watch these videos and see any issues, I sure would appreciate it if you share your thoughts, either here or simply by commenting on the videos.

If you provide feedback that results in a change, I will reach out to you and see if you (or your handle) want a mention as a contributor in the intro video.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great @BillRaymond ,thanks for sharing.

In a wider spectrum… Would you consider offer the Linux based systems dev. environements… too ?

If I knew Linux, I would. The instructions look super simple, but I’m one of those people that installed Linux once, didn’t like the direction the mouse pointed in and uninstalled it :slight_smile: That was many years ago.

If you are familiar with the process, I would collaborate with you on it.

The difference is using apt instead of brew and apt itself is already installed. The path setup is the same.

Also I’m assuming Debian or Ubuntu for apt. There are other Linux flavors which use other approaches other than APT.

If you want to mess around in Linux, you can get a docker container that users UBUNTU as the base image and then install Ruby and Jekyll into that, taking screenshots or video as you go.

Thanks @MichaelCurrin. I may or may not go through this. Just creating the macOS video series was enough. If you or anyone else feels like working with me on it to create and test the script on a new VM, I would probably be convinced. It seems like it is much easier on Linux (and variants) though!

The only difference is two apt commands and no brew. I don’t know if it’s worth doing a whole video for that or even showing how to run the apt commands output as the output doesn’t matter if it success.

I think just putting the apt commands or a link to an instructions page or 30 second video in your current video would be sufficient to cover Linux.

Okay, thanks. I will ponder it. I did add a section that discusses other methods for installing on Windows and Linux, but mostly just point to the Jekyll docs

Bill - many thanks for taking the time to put up these tutorials. I’ve found very little online help on Jekyll for Mac users specifically, and what is there seems to be mainly aimed at Linux users and assumes familiarity with Command Line Tools, Git, Homebrew. I am pretty familiar with those, but have still struggled to install Jekyll properly on Mac and start using it. So your tutorials have been very helpful, even though I was partially familiar with the workflows.

After following your tutorial on setting up VS Code properly as a production environment I’ve gone back to it and think I may be using it as my main platform for that from now on.

I’ve mainly been using Brackets to edit themes and add content but don’t understand Liquid, so anything on that front would be super-helpful!

Thank you fro the kind words! Yes, most of the videos I build are because I had to struggle through things so just pay it forward :-). I think Brackets is getting deprecated and Adobe is pushing people to Visual Studio Code, but there are some good options with that toolset. Honestly, I prefer ATOM and Sublime, but VSC just keeps releasing cool new features and it has yet to feel like Microsoft bloatware. Let’s hope they don’t screw that up.

I will be releasing Liquid videos as well, so keep watching the share space here. If you have any thoughts or ideas, please let me know.