Change default visited link color

Hello, quick question I hope:
I have customized a few settings in the minima theme. I would like to change the default color for a visited link. I have spent many days and weeks now trying to figure that out.

Any tips?
Thanks

Can you show us what you looked at attempted so far so we don’t tell you what you already know

This seems simple

a:visited {
 color: orange;
}

Load it in your custom styles to override what minima set before

Check out minima on GitHub

There’s a bunch of large changes since the last tag 2.5.1 so consider that

Here is 2.5.1 - visited. Note brand color determines link colors

_base.scss

here is a search which reflects main branch

Visited

Those tells me that visited color is 15% darker than the configured link color.

Have a look at SASS variables in a tutorial

and instructions in minima docs on setting custom values

You can add a file like assets/main.scss to your repo based on this

---
---

$brand-color: #12abdef;

@import minima;

So you effectively override the default set here

If you want to modify only visited, then you can hack on to the end (browser will honor the last one defined)

---
---

@import minima;

a:visited {
  color: green;
}

Or… copy and paste the entire long file where visited was defined in the repo and edit the one line you need to but that is messy.

1 Like

I’m assuming you installed the minima theme and just add file overrides that you need.

As forking the theme would be messy to maintain esp when you switch themes

See my example where I adjust styling and configure the theme by name GitHub - MichaelCurrin/jekyll-blog-demo: Starter for a static website or blog - built with Jekyll, a minimal theme and GH Pages 🧪 📝 🚀

Thanks so much Michael! Changing the colors in a copy of /_scss/_base.scss placed in the repo wasn’t working, so I think I had overwritten the colors somewhere else. I am starting a new jekyll site from scratch, going step by step through another tutorial, and trying to see where I have gone wrong. I appreciate the links and examples very much!

1 Like

Hey hi again. Thanks for showing where everything was–that allowed me to find what was missing and fix it. I didn’t copy over everything I needed into my repo copy of main.scss. Thanks for your time!

1 Like

Glad to hear that.

You’re welcome

Please mark my answer that helped the most as the Solution

1 Like