Change default page to About page

Hi,
I’m trying to set up my private blog using this theme GitHub - cotes2020/jekyll-theme-chirpy: A minimal, sidebar, responsive web design Jekyll theme that focuses on text presentation..
I forked into my repository, and I set up everything.
The URL of my repository GitHub - darkocobe/darkocobe.github.io: My personal website.
I changed some content compared to his theme (the links and names) as per my wish, but I’m not a developer nor a Jekyll expert. I did these changes by just discovering things.

What I want to do:
When you open my site, instead of default to the Posts page to default to my start-here page. I can’t find the logic of how the theme developer does this and how I can default to start-here instead.
If someone can help me to make start-here default page, and when you click on the blog to open the posts page, I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

The index.html file is using the home layout, which means that it will use the content of that file (_layouts/home.html) to display your content.

So if you want to display your own content, you would need to change the layout to page or default if you want more control.

You might want to remove the breadcrumb or modify its label as well.

You’ll get something like:

index.html

---
layout: page
title: Your custom title
---
Content of this page using <abbr title="Hypertext Markup Language">HTML</abbr>.

You could also create your custom layout, or modify home for your needs.

You can read more about layouts in this page:

I would recommend to read the whole step by step guide :wink:

2 Likes

The advice above is good and applies to any theme.

To change the content on a page, you add or update the layout in the front matter or you change the actual content in the body of the page.

Thank you for the advice. Although it is really good suggestion and I now understand how it works I’m still confused and I have some extra questions.
I see now from where the posts are coming from the _layout/home.html file. What is confusing to me is how to make switch the content of home.html with the start-here.md layout. I see page.html layout that probably is where the start-here is loaded and that one is pointing to default.html layout which looks like it is the default layout for all other pages in tabs folder.
I tried to simulate what he did but it fails and fails so I need some help from you how to achieve this and change his code. As you can see I tried with new layout start.html which was copy paste from page.html and tried to just put text. It works but the whole CSS is messed up if you see my page idoazure.nl it doesn’t look nice :slight_smile: .
So can you guide me how to do this change for the main page and make it working and even how to modify his navigation menu? Now the menu is generated from tabs.yml file and he is pointing current blog to root where I would basically point the start here.
I hope it is clear what I mean and what i need help with.
Thank you