Structured front matter tags?

I’d like to incorporate structured front matter tags to lock down the options available to authors. For example, I want each page to have a “tags” property with specific options. I’d also like each page to have a “last_reviewed” tag with a date in a specific format. How can enforce any kind of structure with my page content like this?

you could use Front Matter Defaults to passively dictate certain behavior.

With FMD,

- scope:
      path: ""
      type: posts
      layout: post
      read_time: true
      categories: posts

- scope:
      path: ""
      type: pages
      layout: page
      read_time: true
      categories: pages

With the above, all posts will take on the post layout, will have the time-to-read feature active (requires plugins / 3rd-party-code) and the default url will have /posts/ prepended to it.
Similarly, all files with Front Matter dashes will take on the page layout, have the time-to-read feature enabled, and the default url will have /pages/ prepended to it.

Also available are site.tags and site.categories that’ll give you the list of all such variables defined for your site.

Thanks. I’m familiar with defaults and think they’re pretty nifty, but in this case, the values aren’t all the same. In particular, the last_modified tag or list of reviewers will vary by page.