Persistent ruby setup error

Hi all, it’s my first post! Hi!
I have 2 issues with jekyll.
First is when I run jekyll build I get this error

/Users/monica/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ffi-1.11.3/lib/ffi.rb:6:in `require': incompatible library version - /Users/monica/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/gems/ffi-1.11.3/lib/ffi_c.bundle (LoadError)

this is my $PATH var for reference

/Users/monica/.gem/ruby/2.6.0/bin:/usr/local/opt/ruby/bin:/Users/monica/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3/bin:/Users/monica/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.6.3@global/bin:/Users/monica/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.6.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/monica/.rvm/bin:/Users/monica/.rvm/bin

The second is that Jekyll is not loading in my template theme (self-created), but that might be solved with fixing the first main problem.

Please help, SOS.
-Monica

no idea about first one (site still builds ok?)

If your theme is not loading that sounds like a css issue, if you use the Inspector in Chrome and go to the Console tab are that errors?

Is there a link to the repo/site?

fairly common to use GH pages for a project repo but not set the baseurl in the config file to the repo name.

Hi rdyar,

No I can’t actually build locally anymore, but on Github pages it works.

mgnica.github.io

what OS?

how did you install jekyll? what do you get if you run jekyll --version

sort seems like not everything it needs is installed, try gem install jekyll again maybe?

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

I get the same error if I run jekyll --version
I tried gem install jekyll and reran jekyll --version and got the same error.

maybe try:

gem install ffi

you could also try running rvm gemset empty followed by gem install bundler and bundle install but I am just copying and pasting this off the interweb, I don’t know much about ruby at all.

I actually realized it never worked on this computer, only on my work computer which is same OS. I diffed the paths and there are some missing on this current computer. That’s probably the error. I’ll also try gem install ffi.

Edit: gem install ffi totally worked! niicceee

As for the css, no I’m not seeing any errors, but I did notice that the

layout: starspace
title: mgnica’s webpage : D

is surrounded by quotes which I don’t think are supposed to be there.

Edit: yeah, please help me get my theme working. The links are all correct it’s just giving a 404 for some reason.

1 Like

correct - the front matter is always at the top of the page so move:

---
layout: starspace
title: mgnica's webpage :D
---

up to the top.

Your assets/css/styles.css should be called styles.scss - it is not importing the main.scss file because a css file cannot do that, needs to be named .scss, when jekyll runs it will process the scss and rename it to .css.

I think I also saw a couple other path issues but not sure. Somewhere I saw a path as assets/abc.. when it should be /assets/abc... - it was missing the leading /.

1 Like

Hi rdyar,

Thank you - it’s all set up and it looks a lot better now :slight_smile:
Does jekyll always have index.html in root and index.html in _site? I am getting confused over that.
Actually, in general I’m getting confused on where to create and put new pages for my site. For example, I want to add piquant.html under _site but it doesn’t seem to like that. And sometimes my image links break without me doing anything to them.

Edit: OK, everything in _site is generated by jekyll. Why does my javascript get constantly written over whenever I modify it? I’m not sure where else to modify the javascript. It’s ruining the actually built Github page too

correct, the entire contents of _site get deleted and then rebuild every time jekyll runs, so you never edit anything in there.

If you have JS then just put it in a assets/js folder or where ever you want it (in the root), and it will be copied to that same location in the _site folder when jekyll runs.

and you generally should not have the _site folder on GH - you should ignore it in Git and delete it.

Editing something in the _site folder on GH is not going to do anything, GH is making its own version of your _site folder from your source and serving that.

I had the exact same issue that Monica faced, and “gem install ffi” totally worked!!!
Thanks Monica for raising and thanks rdyar for the solution.

1 Like