Need help with - chruby: unknown Ruby: ruby-3.1.1

Hi, I have followed the steps to installing Ruby on macOS but the I check version it returns " chruby: unknown Ruby: ruby-3.1.1 " followed by " ruby 2.6.3p62 (2019-04-16 revision 67580) [universal.arm64e-darwin20] "

do you have any suggestions to help. so I can go ahead and install Jekyll?

Thanks

Check your installed Ruby version is 3.1.1 or not. Confirm it is matched with the version in .zshrc.

I am also having difficulty installing Jekyll because the version of Ruby that seems to be known to my system is ruby 2.6.8p205 (2021-07-07 revision 67951) displayed after
chruby: unknown Ruby: ruby-3.1.1 (using command ruby -v)
I searched my computer and see a Ruby-3.1.2 folder, yet terminal.app doesn’t recognize it. I’m also trying to install Jekyll to move forward using SUSHI to develop FHIR IGs

The docs for installing Jekyll have changed recently and I have not had the opportunity to test them, so I cannot help you on this specific issue with chruby. However, I did create two videos that still work just fine on macOS (even though one of them says Apple Silicon, it should work fine on Intel).

Here is how to install Ruby and Jekyll on macOS:

Here is how I create Jekyll sites now, using Docker containers. It is so nice because you do not have to go through the trouble of installing the software on your own computer. I know this works on a Mac, but it should work the same on Windows or Linux.

Sorry that I do not have a direct answer to your question.

check that the line
chruby ruby-3.X.X
in your .zshrc file correspond to the exact same version you installed with ruby-install. You will find the exact version you installed with
ls ~/.rubies/
If the two differ, change the .zshrc line accordingly, then quit and restart the terminal. It should work now.
Hope it helps,
Andrea

1 Like