ERROR: YOUR SITE COULD NOT BE BUILT: No repo name found

Hello!
Could you please help me?
I downloaded this theme and tried to execute on local machine. But unfortunately i had some kind of errors.

Liquid Exception: No repo name found. Specify using PAGES_REPO_NWO environment variables, ‘repository’ in your configuration, or set up an ‘origin’ git remote pointing to your github.com repository. in /_layouts/default.liquid
ERROR: YOUR SITE COULD NOT BE BUILT:
------------------------------------
No repo name found. Specify using PAGES_REPO_NWO environment variables, ‘repository’ in your configuration, or set up an ‘origin’ git remote pointing to your github.com repository.

Also, i tried find the similar errors in google: the first results in Google
And i followed by instructions, but it doesn’t give any results. One error is replaced by another error.
What should i do? Maybe just this theme is “Broken” or my arm’s are “Broken”.

Windows 10.
C:\Jekyll>jekyll -v
jekyll 4.2.0

jekyll-rtd-theme this theme i tried to execute

It looks like your build it using a plugin that gets data from GitHub like your profile pic or description or repos.

But it doesn’t know who you are.

Here is my solution when getting to this error.

The error message tells you to set repository in your config, so do that.

repository: MyUser/my-repo

e.g.

This value is supposed to be picked up automatically if you have a git repo and push to git. The workaround above is for it can’t be picked up (I don’t know why it happens).

If you do this, you should expect to see a URL for origin and username/reponame.

git remote -v

That will be setup automatically if you use

git clone

Could you please clarify if i will delete all git’s files the error will appear anyway?
There no any workarounds for execute this on localhost?
Because no need to push it on github, i should try to use Azure devops :frowning:

My suggestion was indeed for localhost and will work as well on remote builds outside of GitHub Pages.

All you need to do is set repository in your config.

If you delete all your repo files you’d have the same issue I guess. But you don’t need to delete anything.

You can skip the cloning bit.

It helped. Thank you very much! =)

1 Like

You’re welcome. Please mark answer as the solution