Can the filename for a post exclude the title?

I’d like to have the filenames for all my blog posts be just the date and exclude the title, i.e., 2020-10-13.md. When I try to name the files in this way, Jekyll doesn’t recognize them as posts and ignores them.

Is there a configuration option that I can use to do this change?

If you use the title front matter, then I believe you should be good:

---
title: My post title
---
Blog content...

I do use the title front matter, but Jekyll won’t even recognize that the file is a post unless it has a filename of the format YYYY-MM-DD-title.md.

Yes this is known limitation of Jekyll and there’s actually an open PR enabling leaving it out of the filename. You always use something short and similar to a category like YYYY-MM-DD-news.md

or -1.md if you want to just number it.
The result will be 2020/08/21/1.html

The last part of the filename is not used for the presentation in the html. I guess it is intended for making post files easy to glance at and to have multiple posts on one day.
Use the title in frontmatter for user-facing info and the filename for the URL

Thank you @MichaelCurrin I wish this was different, but now that I understand, I can work with this.

1 Like

You can create a custom collection called ‘myposts’ and use your date-filenames there. I believe this restriction only exists for the ‘posts’ type.

Michael, sorry I had not realized that was a limitation. Thanks for pointing it out.