Jekyll won't install on OSX High Sierra out the box

Hi,

Something that should be very straightforward is turning into a nightmare because of my lack of Ruby knowledge and a possibly damaged native Ruby version.

ERROR:  Error installing jekyll:
	ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

Is my error. I have MacOS 10.13, with xcode command line tools installed. Nothing I’m doing with gem update, homebrew updates, installing (but not really understanding) rbenv is working.

Please, someone make bundler get me Jekyll!

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps, give me a shout for further info

on a PC ruby has two ways of installing - with devkit and without devkit. I assume it is the same for a Mac.

If you don’t have devkit I think you get that error. See if you can make sure you have ruby with the devkit.

It’s very much unlike Windows (if PC is what you mean I assume). I’m using MacOS’s (sort of unofficial, but also very much standard) homebrew, which takes care of packages in a unix-like way.

The error with build native gem extension from Stack Overflow seems to exclusively be about xtools, but my command line tools are up to date.

I’m trying to get rbenv installed now to combat the environment problems, but I can’t even do that as installing a newish version of Ruby fails on rbenv install. This is madness!

Did you run xcode-select --install?
Is gcc properly installed?

Here my system info, I don’t reproduce your issue:

➜  sw_vers
ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.13.5
BuildVersion:	17F45c

➜ xcode-select --version
xcode-select version 2349.

➜ gcc -v
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 9.1.0 (clang-902.0.39.1)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.6.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin