Support for fixed custom GET parameters as permalink

It would be nice if there was a way to accept GET parameters in the permalink attribute of a page.
This would allow users to create static clones of legacy websites that are no longer maintained with some easy scripting.
Example file:

---
permalink: '/forum.php?id=1234'
---
<!-- Some html-->

This file would be available using the original link and would essentially replace the original dynamically generated file.
Unfortunately this does not work… When trying to access this site, the server thinks the user is trying to access forum.php

What do you think?

I don’t think this has anything to do with Jekyll, this sounds like something the webserver would do. Jekyll is just making static files.

If you really wanted to do that, I think you probably could use javascript to catch the query string and then redirect to the proper page.

I think you could have forum.php be a landing page, then convert all the pages to something like forum-id-1234.html and then have JS on the landing page take the parameter from the query string and redirect to the new page. Seems workable, though if you are converting a forum that just sounds messy.