[Solved] Ordinal date filter doesn't work

I’ve been trying the new ordinal date filter but I get this message when I try to run the code. In my case the following pops up. I’ve tried both filters on the docs and one I found on a blog, none of them work.

Liquid Exception: no implicit conversion of Integer into String in /_layouts/post.html

It creates output if I remove the quotes around ordinal but doesn’t actually produce an ordinal (no "nth, or “rd” etc).

My layout file:

---
layout: default
---
<article class="post-page">
  <span class="label">{{ page.category }}</span>
  <h1 id="postTitle">{{ page.title }}</h1>
  <aside>
    <span class="label">{{ page.category }}</span>
    <time datetime="{{ page.date | date_to_xmlschema }}">
      {{ page.date | date_to_long_string: "ordinal" }}
    </time>
    <span title="{{ page.content | number_of_words }} words">
      {{ page.content | number_of_words | divided_by: 300 }} minute read
    </span>
  </aside>
  <section class="post-contents">
  {{ content }}
  {% if page.modified %}
  <aside>
    Modified: {{ page.modified | date_to_rfc822 }}
  </aside>
  {% endif %}
  </section>
  {% include post-footer.html %}
</article>

what version of Jekyll? are you using GH pages?

looks like this was added in 3.8 but GH pages is 3.73

It is the latest, 3.8 at least. I’m also hosting the site through AWS not GH. No idea what the problem is.

Maybe it’s a bug. I’ve personally never tried date_to_long_string filter, I’ve only used the US flavor of it on my personal site.

{{ page.date | date_to_long_string: 'ordinal', 'US' }}

I haven’t had a chance to sit down at my PC yet, but once I do I will try the date_to_string versions. Also I noticed the templates on jekyll.rb use “page.time” instead of “page.date” which seems like a red flag of sorts.

Stupid question but what does the output of {{ page.date }} look like? Maybe that’s not in ISO format and could be why the filter isn’t working as it’s in a format it’s not expecting.

I don’t think it’s a stupid question, you might be onto something.

Output (example from a post after running jekyll build):

2017-02-16 00:00:00 -0700

You sure you’re using the latest version of Jekyll? I just tried v3.8.3 and added this to a sample post:

{{ page.date }}
{{ page.date | date_to_long_string: "ordinal" }}
{{ page.date | date_to_long_string: 'ordinal', 'US' }}

And got these results:

2015-08-10 08:08:50 -0400
10th August 2015
August 10th, 2015

Yep, it’s the lastest, I have a cronjob update the gems for me.

Figured it out, it was something pretty stupid. I had copied an ordinal plugin from the web into the _plugin folder. Removing the file completely fixed the issue.

Now I only wish we had an option to maybe put the ordinal part (the “nth”, “rd”, “nd”) into superscript.

Not sure how well font-variant-numeric: ordinal is supported but might be an option to style the date.

Thanks. I think that will work, I’ll check it out. The font I have doesn’t have “proper” superscript support outside of numbers, but it might be good enough.