Creating static pages from markdown other than _posts?

So I’d like to be able to create static pages from markdown files for my projects in the same way I’d make my blog posts from a markdown file. I tried for hours but I can’t figure out a way to do so. Bear with me as I have little programming experience. I am using the poole theme by the way.

First I created a _projects folder where created some test projects in markdown. In the Layouts folder I created a project.html with the following lines:

---
layout: default
---

<article>
  <h1>{{ page.title }}</h1>
  <time datetime="{{ page.date | date_to_xmlschema }}">{{ page.date | 
   date_to_string }}</time>
  {{ content }}
</article>

I then created a projects.md file where i want to traverse the _projects folder. The markdown file contains the following code:

---
layout: page
title: Projects
---

{% for project in site.projects %}
  * {{ project.date | date_to_string }} &raquo; [ {{ project.title }} ]({{ project.url }})
{% endfor %}

I don’t understand why this doesn’t work and i couldn’t figure it out by googling either.
I hope you can help me here. Thank you!

did you declare projects as a collection? it looks like you are using it that way but if you did not specifically tell jekyll in the config that you have a collection named projects it won’t work.

Such a simple solution, i thought there was something wrong with my code. Thank you!